It’s easy to use products that are touted to magically make your skin glow and keep it healthy. However, chemicals are harmful to the skin in the long run and also expensive. A healthy diet and natural home remedies can do good to your skincare regimen. It takes time to achieve results, but it keeps your skin young and organic. These natural beauty tips are likely to give you a boost. And with the lockdown, you have plenty of time to practice self-care anyway!
10 Face Masks to Try at Home:
There are natural ingredients probably lying around in your pantry that you can integrate in your skincare routine in order to keep your skin healthy, nourished and glowing during the lockdown. Blemishes and acne are normal problems during the monsoon.
Here are 10 homemade face masks that you can apply to get beautiful skin.
1. A quick restoring mask
You can use a prepared mask to pamper your skin, or you can make a mask yourself. We are sure you already have some of these ingredients in your fridge, and are the path to long lasting beauty.
- For dull and lifeless skin,mix apple juice with honey. Apply a thin layer to your face, and leave it on for 5 minutes.
- For dark circles and puffy eyes, you can use a simple potato. Finely grate one potato, apply to the area under your eyes, and leave it on for 15 minutes.
- To tone dry skin,make a mask with curd and sour cream. For oily skin, you can mix a whisked egg white, olive oil, and several drops of lemon juice. For normal skin, a mask with banana and grapefruit is a good option.
- Irritated skin can be calmed down with a buttermilk mask. Just apply it to your face for 15 minutes.
Turmeric contains curcumin, which has strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It enhances collagen production and keeps your skin supple and glowing. Gram flour gently cleanses the skin to make it clean and bright.
- 1/2-1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 4 tablespoons gram flour (also called chickpea flour)
- Milk or water
How to apply
- Mix the turmeric powder with the gram flour.
- Add enough milk or water to this to form a paste.
- Apply this paste on your face and neck. Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Rinse with plain water.
3. Coconut Oil
This remedy can work wonders for dull skin. Coconut oil locks the moisture in the skin and also nourishes it with essential fatty acids. It protects the skin from UV radiation and enhances skin barrier function. Your skin is bound to glow.
Virgin coconut oil
How to apply
- Warm up the oil slightly and apply to the face and neck.
- Massage for a few minutes in gentle circular motions.
- Leave the oil on overnight.
- You can add some sugar to the oil and use it as a scrub to exfoliate your skin once or twice a week.
Papaya contains enzymes that help gently exfoliate your skin and give it the radiance and natural beauty it needs.
- 2-3 big chunks of papaya
- 1 tbsp of rosewater
How to apply
- Toss these ingredients in a bowl and mash them up together.
- Apply the mixture to your face and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes.
- Wash it off with some cold water.
4. Baking Soda
Baking soda exfoliates dead skin cells and neutralizes the skin’s pH level. It also has antibacterial properties that can help prevent infection.
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
How to Apply
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture on damp face and neck using circular motions.
- Leave it on for 10 minutes.
- Rinse with cool water and pat dry. Moisturize as usual.
Cucumber is cools the skin. The antioxidants present in it replenish and rejuvenates dull skin. It also improves complexion and reduces swelling.
- 1 small cucumber
- 2-3 tablespoons yogurt
How to apply
- Grate the cucumber and add the yogurt to it. Beat well.
- Apply it to your face and neck.
- Leave it on for five minutes until it dries and washes it off with cold water.
Honey is soothing and contains humectants. It moisturizes your skin, prevents wrinkle formation, and keeps it looking youthful.
How to apply
- Apply honey evenly on clean and damp skin.
- Massage it for a few minutes and leave it on for another five minutes.
- Wash the honey off with lukewarm water.
9. Banana Pack
Banana is rich in vitamins A, B, C, and E, and minerals like potassium nourish, hydrate, and it improves the overall health of the skin. They make the skin soft and glowing and also lighten blemishes.
- A ripe banana
- 2 teaspoons of milk
- An ice cube
How to apply
- Mash the banana in the milk and apply it on the face and neck.
- Leave it on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with water. Rub an ice cube all over the area for a few seconds.
10. Watermelon Face Mask
Watermelon can help soothe and moisturize the skin while also protecting it against sun damage.
- 2-3 big chunks of watermelon
- 1 tbsp yoghurt
- 2-3 drops of lemon juice
How to apply
Mix all these ingredients together to make a pulpy paste. Apply the paste to your face and let it sit for a good 30 minutes at least. Wash it off with cold water.
Do’s and Don’ts for Naturally Beautiful Skin:
- Drink Plenty Of Water
It is essential to drink 10-12 glasses of water daily as it helps flush the toxins out of your system. The skin needs to receive adequate water to be hydrated, soft. Without enough water, it becomes dull, dry, and migh start to tear. The best beauty care step for your skin is drinking gallons of water.
- Moisturize Your Skin Regularly
The skin on your face, ears, and neck are very sensitive to UV rays and other environmental hazards. These areas shed cells more frequently and rapidly than other parts of the body. Thus, it needs moisture to repair and rejuvenate itself.
- Wear Sunscreen Daily
Always use a good sunscreen with SPF (sun protection factor) whenever you step out. Use sunscreen not only in summer but also during winter. Good sunscreen protects your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays and is the ultimate beauty secret.
This should happen right after cleansing. Make it a point to use a mild scrubbing product for your face, depending on your skin type. Exfoliate at least twice a week. Follow it up with toning and moisturizing. A good scrub for the skin will remove the top layer of dead skin cells, encouraging the production of new, healthy cells. It also improves blood circulation and lightens the skin, making it soft, smooth, and youthful.
- Ban the Chemicals
Don’t get lured by the fancy skincare advertisements. The next time you purchase a sunscreen or lotion, or any other skincare product, try reading the list of active ingredients. Choose the ones containing natural oils like olive oils, eucalyptus oil, tea tree oil, etc. Stay away from products containing chemicals like sulfates, parabens, etc.
- Get Adequate Sleep
While we sleep, our body repairs the damaged cells and replenishes the old ones. Hence, our body requires at least eight hours of sleep daily. This will make your skin healthy and glowing.
- Switch with Seasons
It is a good idea to modify your skincare routines with change in season, namely, during summer or monsoon.
- Quit Smoking
Smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol can lead to serious health as well as skin problems. They are responsible for premature aging, fine lines, and wrinkles.
- Don’t use expired products
Do not use cosmetics products, creams, tools, etc. that are very old. Always check the expiry date before buying and using a product.
- Don’t go to bed wearing makeup
Do not forget to remove any traces of makeup from your face before going to bed. Sleeping with makeup clogs your pores, leading to pimples and breakouts. Try to use a natural toner.
Following a proper skincare routine and focusing on nutrition and overall fitness goes a long way in helping you achieve natural beauty. Talk to a doctor or dermatologist if you are unsure about which remedies to follow. Natural remedies take time, so be persistent and consistent with your skincare routine.